Sunday, October 30, 2005

Merrily we slog along...

Midterm update: UGH! This is the semester from H-E-double-toothpicks! No one thing itself is overwhelming, but 12 hour days and the flu-bug just make it rough. At least most of the papers are done or well on their way. Almost done with the IRB (review board) proposal, which pretty much sets up my experiment (Recovery of Cognitive Functions in Abstinent Substance Abusers) and "self-writes" the first part of my thesis! And the new internship at Chrysalis House is amazing. So many new doors opening, so many of them connected! Psi Chi (I'm veep) is doing a fundraiser for Habitat for Humanity next spring, and Joan the housing coordinator at Chrysalis gave me a bunch of info, said she'd help after she finishes the housing fair next week; I helped her put the media packets together. Also, I'm gathering those horrible little styrofoam peanuts from the Psych department for beanbag chairs for the kids' reading nook at Chrysalis day care. Meantime, I got my apps in for grad school: Clinical Psych (PhD only), Counseling Psych (PhD & MA backup), & MFT (2-year MA in Marriage & Family Therapy, just in case, but also valuable/interesting!) Waiting for the last of the transcripts to arrive.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Yarny update: The patterns are up on the Wool Peddler site! I really like the lightning bolt scarf-- it's just jazzy, very unisex (how's that for an old hippie word) and easy/fun. Saw some similar versions in yarn catalogs, look the same, patterns I tried & discarded 'cause ours is much easier! And the Kimaya bag is really practical. I hope she sends it back or I'll need to make another one. The self-striping-sock-yarn crocheted cardigan is coming along-- almost too big to carry with me anymore. It's back to socks, or I'm dallying with the idea of a new Aibhlinn or a long-wise scarf/shawl out of the turquoise hand-dyed silk/wool. I'd prefer the Aibhlinn, but don't know if I have enough yarn and don't want to do a stripey thing, though a spiral would be cool!

Family update: Some people know Mom was diagnosed with invasive breast cancer. She's got another surgery this coming week, has lost 12 lbs in the last 2 weeks, but some of that is because they sent her to a nutritionist and put her on a diabetic diet. We're still waiting to hear about chemo/radiation, probably chemo. We were planning on having her out here for the holidays, but we might have to wait depending on medical appointments. Otherwise, everyone (including Mom) is happy and well. No new cats to report-- trying to let the herd meld and calm down as it is!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home